The Professor Faheem Hussain Student Conference Program
Frequently Asked Questions
Questions about applying
- Q. Who can apply?
- A. Undergraduate or graduate students enrolled in a university physics department in South Asia may apply. This includes separate departments specializing in a physics subfield such as astronomy or applied physics. Students in engineering departments are not eligible. Please see the Eligibility Requirements for further details.
- Q. What if my university does not have a separate physics department?
- A. In this case, if you are doing physics work in a general science department, such as a Department of Natural Sciences or Applied Science Department, you can apply.
- Q. What exactly is a "physics-related" conference?
- A. Your paper must be presented at a technical conference (mathematics, engineering, or science other than social science).
- Q. Can I apply if the work described in my paper was done at another institution (for instance, during a summer job at a company or a different university)?
- A. Yes, if the other institution is in South Asia.
- Q. If I have already graduated but my conference submission is based on work that I did while I was a student, can I apply?
- A. You can apply if you were still a registered student on the day that you submitted your paper to the conference.
- Q. If I am both a professor and a graduate student (simultaneously working toward my PhD while also employed as a professor teaching classes at a university), can I apply?
- A. Yes.
- Q. If I am the co-author of a paper with another student, can we both apply for funding to present the paper together?
- A. No. Due to limited funding, only one author can apply.
- Q. If I applied and my paper didn't get selected, can I apply again in the future?
- A. If you later produce a different paper or poster based on new work, and it is accepted at an appropriate conference, you can apply again to this program. You may not reapply for a different conference with the same paper.
- Q. If I have already attended a conference through this program, can I apply again in the future?
- A. No. Due to limited funding, students who have previously received a grant under this program are not eligible for a second grant.
- Q. Must applications be submitted in a particular format (such as a pdf file)?
- A. No, please simply answer the application questions in an email (plain text).
Questions after being accepted
- Q. If I am unable to attend the conference at the last minute, can my advisor or another student take my place?
- A. No.
- Q. What should the required conference summary be about?
- A. It can describe any aspects of the conference, such as presenting your paper or poster, meeting other scientists, or attending the other talks and events. Which parts of the conference were most valuable to you, and why? Do you have any suggestions for future students in the program? Although a brief paragraph or two is sufficient, you may write as much as you like. Photo(s) to accompany your report are also very welcome.
For any other questions, please contact us.